Author: Timothy Noonan
||2 hours for CPAs
This two-hour CPE course focuses on some of the difficult sales tax issues raised when doing business in a digital world. It suggests compliance and planning strategies for dealing with the various rules regarding sales tax on goods and services used in multiple jurisdictions.
Sales tax rules are changing now more than ever since the Wayfair decision in June 2018. Compliance can be confusing as you try to understand who taxes what and how (or where) they tax it. In a straightforward and easy-to-understand manner, highly regarded state tax practitioner, Timothy P. Noonan, will help you address current state sales tax issues and challenges. Mr. Noonan, author of the "Noonan's Notes" in Tax Analysts’ Tax Notes State and a frequent contributor to CCH Webinars, will help you identify the sales tax process steps to consider if you are a seller or purchaser of goods and services used in multiple jurisdictions.
Professionals in private and public practice, and in industry, will benefit from this presentation and will gain a practical understanding of current sales tax issues in our digital world. The presentation time will include opportunities for you to ask questions directly to Mr. Noonan.
Publication Date: June 2020
Tax and accounting staff responsible for state sales tax compliance and planning; business owners, CPAs, EAs, tax attorneys and other business and financial advisors working with business clients on state sales tax compliance and planning
- Starting Point: Post‐Wayfair Nexus in the Digital World
- Who Taxes What?
- The Main Sales Tax Culprits: Software, Digital products, Information Service
- Sourcing Sales of Software, Digital Products, etc.
- Expanding the Tax Base to More Things Digital?
- Other Stuff and Loose Ends
- Compliance Issues
- Recognize and gain a practical understanding of where (in which states) your business needs to collect sales tax
- Describe the corporate and tax implications of doing business on the web
- Identify which states tax digital products/services
- Recognize how digital sales are taxed when in multiple places
- Identify situations that create nexus
- Recognize the different Sourcing Methods
- Describe factors within the Wayfair Checklist
NASBA Field of Study
Taxes (2 hours)